Monday, February 11, 2008

A Lesson From D-Harmony

A couple of weekends ago I was entering Burlington Coat Factory with my lady when I was stopped by a young African American man calling himself D-Harmony. 

He was very cordial and polite, he said he was an aspiring R&B artists and he was trying to sell his CD and market himself. Immediately I thought to myself, what kind of scam is this brother running? Well, he put that all to rest when he sung a cappella for us right on the spot. Man, this little cat had some pipes on him and he really impressed me.

Today, our images of black youth are so negative, so I must say it was refreshing to see the stereotype get knocked down right before my eyes. This was a kid who got up on a Saturday morning and put himself out there singing in front of a store. Of course I bought one of his CD's and I thought to myself, are you doing everything you can with your own business to make it successful? Would you get up and sing in front of strangers on your off day?  D-Harmony made me realize that I wasn't putting the effort in to be truly successful, I wasn't going the extra mile. As I got in my car and pulled away I thought about what my father said to me when I was younger, "you can learn a lesson from anyone it doesn't matter how young or how old just be ready to listen and take that information in because it might make things better for you one day."

He was right. 

Who knows, maybe one day we'll all be listening to D-Harmony on the radio or watching him perform on the Grammy's. I wish the young brother luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I don't know if I'd have the guts to do it, but recognize that I need to step outside - way outside the box more in order to achieve the success I want. Good post!