Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Writers Strike just What a Black writer needed, Not!


I was on a personal high after returning home from the Creative Screenwriting conference in LA. Four production companies requested to read my script. One of the four actually came through and I sent my script to them with the hope of getting my first sale. 
Well, all my excitement went down the drain when the writer's strike kicked off. No one has contacted me since, not the other production companies or the one that has my script. 
I know the strike is going to improve the compensation that writers receive but damn it messed up my high. I didn't realize how much writers are shafted until I heard that the writers of the Pirates of Caribbean franchise received only $6000 out of the 5 million their last movie made from DVD sales - and that was just the first week of its release. After reading that I said to myself, you better forget about your high and be glad that they're fighting for the rights of writers.
Being a Black screenwriter though, it's tough. When you get someone interested in characters that are not all white you want to get the ball running. I guess I'll have more time to write if a deal isn't on the horizon, but I sure would like to get that feeling back when they first said yes, I'll look at your script.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the end, this little set back will end up being worth it. Once you're in the Writer's Guild, you'll be able to reap the rewards. Just hang in there, it'll be over soon and those producers will be able to knock on your door.

DJ Black Adam said...

I know how you feel, but I am sure your skills will be pciked up soon