Monday, November 5, 2007

TV Has Never Been Whiter.


I think about when I was a little boy and how much TV I used to watch and it was a lot. My pops used to call it the stupid box, he was right but I still couldn't get enough.

Show's like the Jefferson's, What's Happening and even the stereotypical Good Times, which my parents hated and I couldn't understand why at the time. Today, TV is so white they make me miss some of the black shows, even if they were stereotypical images of black life.

It's funny it's like the TV industry said okay you've got your BET and TV ONE so we don't have to put your shows on. Shoot even the WB or CW, whatever it is doesn't do black shows anymore. Man, I miss the Cosby show and a Different World. Now we goy a Hot Ghetto Mess - that's scary.

I wonder how all the other minorities feel, you don't see them being represented on TV that much either. It's funny when I step outside my house I see a rainbow of different cultures but on TV I just see white. We're moving into another age of segregated TV. I see a lot of Hispanic channels and I've heard a gay channel is being started maybe we're all tired of being ignored.

I guess it would be okay if you could get good original dramas and sitcoms from BET and TV ONE but all they want to show is reruns of Martin and Videos. If we have to go the route of segregated TV then these stations have to stop being cheap and produce better shows. As for white TV it doesn't look like it will be darkening up anytime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.